Foundations in Patient Experience Course
November 2020 - June 2021
We are pleased to invite applications for the next cohort of our Foundations in Patient Experience course, beginning November 2020. The course is for people working in patient experience, quality improvement, patient safety, PALS, and those whose jobs involve engaging patients in service delivery, governance and improvement.
The course supports the following learning objectives:
- Increase confidence in understanding, analysis and use of different types of data on patient experience.
- Help people working in patient experience and engagement fully understand their responsibilities and work strategically as leaders in their field.
- Strengthen knowledge of research evidence, its relevance to patient experience, to other patient and organisational outcomes.
- Understand the historical and policy context for patient experience and efforts to improve it in the UK and internationally.
- Strengthen the personal impact and effectiveness of students, confidence in role, skills in sense-making, influencing and collaborative working.
The course is taught by a team of expert academics, patients (people who live with illness) and front-line professionals with a deep understanding of the links between patients’ experience of care, patient safety, clinical quality and staff satisfaction.
The course is CPD-accredited and accredited by the Institute of Leadership and Management. Students on the course can earn accreditation certificates and benefit from one year’s membership of the Institute, providing access to their online resources. The course promotes peer learning and offers opportunities to develop professional networks both during and beyond the course itself.
We welcome applications from people working in patient experience within the NHS, Patient Advice and Liaison Service or third sector organisations concerned with patient experience.
Due to COVID-19, we are planning for the delivery of the course online with the option of a final face to face session in summer 2021.
From November 2020 to February 2021, there will be 4 highly interactive 90 minute on-line sessions, to introduce the course curriculum, and begin to form a community of practice. This will allow delegates to familiarise themselves with content prior to the core modules which are monthly from March to June 2021, each lasting half a day. This means the maximum possible time is spent interacting among the community of practice.
In addition, delegates will be supported to take forward a “real-life” project of their own, advancing their own organisations’ priorities in either patient experience strategy, or in engagement and involvement.
The modules include:
- Understanding patient experience, involvement and engagement.
- Developing creative approaches to engagement and involvement
- Talking about change with patients and the population: Effective facilitation in patient and public engagement and involvement
- Practical skills in patient-centred quality improvement
Total fees for the course, including learning materials and coaching support are £995.
If you wish to apply for the course please enter your details below, and you will be directed to download the application form, which you should complete and return to You will need your line manager’s support for your application.
If you would like to learn more about the course, and discuss how this would benefit you, please email