Foundations in Patient Experience Course (Online) – APPLICATIONS CLOSED
January - June 2021
Applications for the next cohort of our Foundations in Patient Experience course are now closed. If you are interested in future cohorts please contact
The course is for people working in patient experience, quality improvement, patient safety, PALS, and those whose jobs involve engaging patients in service delivery, governance and improvement.
The course supports the following learning objectives:
- Increase confidence in understanding, analysis and use of different types of data on patient experience.
- Help people working in patient experience and engagement fully understand their responsibilities and work strategically as leaders in their field.
- Strengthen knowledge of research evidence, its relevance to patient experience, to other patient and organisational outcomes.
- Understand the historical and policy context for patient experience and efforts to improve it in the UK and internationally.
- Strengthen the personal impact and effectiveness of students, confidence in role, skills in sense-making, influencing and collaborative working.
The course is taught by a team of expert academics, patients (people who live with illness) and front-line professionals with a deep understanding of the links between patients’ experience of care, patient safety, clinical quality and staff satisfaction.
The course is CPD-accredited and accredited by the Institute of Leadership and Management. Students on the course can earn accreditation certificates and benefit from one year’s membership of the Institute, providing access to their online resources. The course promotes peer learning and offers opportunities to develop professional networks both during and beyond the course itself.
We welcome applications from people working in patient experience within the NHS, Patient Advice and Liaison Service or third sector organisations concerned with patient experience.
Due to COVID-19, we are planning for the delivery of the course online with the option of a final face to face session in summer 2021.
From December 2020 to February 2021, there will be 4 highly interactive 90 minute on-line sessions, to introduce the course curriculum, and begin to form a community of practice. This will allow delegates to familiarise themselves with content prior to the core modules which will be delivered in regular online sessions between March to June 2021. This means the maximum possible time is spent interacting among the community of practice.
In addition to the delivered content, delegates will be supported to take forward a “real-life” project of their own, advancing their own organisations’ priorities in either patient experience strategy, or in engagement and involvement.
Total fees for the course, including learning materials and coaching support are £1000.
Applications are now closed.
If you would like to learn more about future cohorts of the course, or discuss how this would benefit you, please email