Experience Based Co-Design training – May 2022
10th - 31st May 2022
The Point of Care Foundation has been running Experience Based Co-Design workshops for the last 10 years. At these events, participants are taught how to draw on the experiences of patients, carers and staff to identify where change is needed and then to design and implement improvements together.
The Covid-19 pandemic has driven rapid changes in the way services are delivered. What we are now hearing though, is that in the midst of a fast-paced response to the crisis, patients and service users were left behind and not involved in the change process.
How can we help?
We have transformed our successful one-day Experience Based Co-design training programme, to be delivered in four 90-minute online sessions. We will guide you through the EBCD process and offer live, online support.
What participants gain from the programme:
- Virtual structured training in patient-centred service design techniques that you will come back to again and again
- Tuition in how to capture the experiences of patients, carers and staff through discussion, observation, and filmed interviews (including options for doing this remotely)
- Access to real life examples of successful co-design projects
- Comprehensive study materials and practical guidelines
- Ongoing support throughout your project
Who can benefit?
The beauty of co-design is that all sorts of people can be involved in whatever way suits them. This can range from leading a project or sitting on a steering group, to sharing their experience of giving or receiving care, or being part of a small co-design team. The discipline or level is not important – only the commitment to working collaboratively to make experiences better for staff, patients and families.
Our EBCD Course is open to both people working within health and care organisations and researchers looking to use the EBCD method to make service improvements.
Session 1: Setting up a co-design project
- An overview of Experience Based Co-design – its history and process
- Getting a co-design project off the ground and keeping it on track
- Managing stakeholder relationships and communications
- Establishing the co-design team with an emphasis on sustainability
Session 2: The discovery phase in co-design
- Starting with the end in mind – case studies in co-design
- The discovery phase – an overview of the purpose and process
- Using observation in co-design
- Engaging staff and gathering experiences
- Engaging service users, carers and families and gathering experiences
- Face to face and virtual options for the discovery phase
Session 3: The analysis phase in co-design
- Purpose and process in the analysis phase
- Making sense of qualitative data from the co-design process
- Thematic analysis of interviews and narratives
- Generating themes from qualitative analysis
- Verifying co-design data – online and face to face options for staff and patient/carer family ‘events’
Session 4: The co-design phase
- Purpose and process in co-design
- The co-design process in normal times – designing and carrying out a successful co-design event
- The co-design process in COVID times – designing and carrying out a successful co-design activities when face to face meetings are not possible
- How to work in small, time limited, focused co-design groups – some options
- Closing the loop – demonstrating impact, celebrating success, and linking into the QI process
The four sessions can be booked separately or as a complete course.
Each session costs £100 per person, or £350 if all four sessions are booked as a block.
Booking and key dates
Each session will last one-and-a-half hours. The session dates and times are listed below.
Please note the sessions take place on Zoom.
Session 1 – Tuesday 10th May – 17:30 – 19:00 BST
Session 2 – Tuesday 17th May – 17:30 – 19:00 BST
Session 3 – Tuesday 24th May – 17:30 – 19:00 BST
Session 4 – Tuesday 31st May – 17:30 – 19:00 BST
Bookings will close one week prior to the start date of the course. All sessions are recorded and available to delegates for one month following the course.
Terms and conditions apply. Please ensure you read our cancellation policy before booking. You can download the policy below.